Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bush Bean Seedling

My initial planting of of bush beans (Jade - 60 days) hasn't gone too well.

First thing - a majority of the seeds that were planted haven't germinated.

Second thing- the seedlings that have come up are pretty sad looking.

The seedling on the left is representative of what I'm getting... the leaves are a pale shade of green with yellowed tips. At this point I think the most likely reason (for both problem) is that the soil temperature
is still too low. We were having lots of warm days when I first planted, but since then we've had quite a few stretches of where the nights were in the 40's and the days haven't broken 55. The lowest temperature I've seen listed for germination is 60 degrees - but a more typical range is 65 - 85 degrees.

Beans are great companion plants with for nearly everything thanks to the fact that they create their own nitrogen, so I'll just keep planting them. I've got plenty of seeds, and I want staggered crop production anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment