Thursday, April 22, 2010

Blueberries and Rhubarb






The blueberry bed has been weeded twice so far this year, and coffee grounds have been added around the base of every bush to increase the acidity of the soil (once.) I need to do a Ph test...

Last year we still didn't get all that many blueberries. We've got six plants... I'd like to think that's enough so we can get our fill- but getting the plants to produce in a significant manner has been difficult. In truth, I think the main problem is water. I didn't get the irrigation system modified last year, and I'm pretty sure that until I do, these plants will live, but they won't thrive.













This one is actually looking pretty good... the amount of blossoms we are getting on this is the best ever. I think this our Spartan, since that's the only one we have that begins fruit production this early in the season.























The rhubarb transplants that we got from Bruce at the beginning of the spring have already taken root and look really healthy. I've given them some fertilizer and at this point these look to be an easy maintenance crop and a nice addition to the mix.
















There's a recipe in particular that I'm looking forward to ... once a few years back I had Bruce's wife's strawberry/rhubarb crisp. It was delicious... I must have it again. I had never had rhubarb before that.

I've also got it in mind to try to create a rhubarb chutney. I think that could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment